Robbie ‘Mighty Mouse’ Rouse, out for a leisurely stroll against one of the worst football teams in human memory. (AP)
Our weekly highlight show of lesser FBS luminaries. Non-AQs and independents, be welcome.
Soooo remember last week, when we were all “Robbie Rouse is 79 yards away from becoming Fresno State’s all-time leading rusher, isn’t that swell?” We all know by now what happened next. So while we’ve got Mighty Mouse up on a pedestal, let’s put some of his teammates up there with him.
Video game football doesn’t begin to cover what Fresno State did to Colorado in Week 3; this was more akin to watching a cartoon. Were you aware …
• Rouse’s 94-yard touchdown run, the one that made him Fresno State’s all-time leading rusher, wasn’t even the Bulldogs’ longest scoring play of the game? On Fresno State’s prior possession, Derek Carr and Isaiah Burse combined for a 97-yard pitch-and-catch touchdown run.
• Carr recorded his 300 passing yards and five touchdowns all in the first half?
• Fresno State’s defense recorded four interceptions and four sacks?
• Safety Phillip Thomas was responsible for three of those interceptions, two of which he returned for touchdowns?
• Even the Bulldogs’ punter, Andrew Shapiro, got in on the rout with a career-long 69-yard punt?