The 2012 Valero Alamo Bowl is just hours away. We’re sure you have so many questions. We’re here to help. (For an X’s and O’s breakdown, click through to Stewart Mandel’s game preview.)
• What’s all this, then? After a couple weeks of Beefo-come-lately bowls whose provenance might be described as “questionable,” we’re starting to break into the name-brand bowls. The Alamo has been around since 1993 and has featured at least one ranked team in 16-of-20 games since then (counting this year).
• Where will this game be played? The Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas.
• When is it on television? Coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. ET on ESPN. Sean McDonough and Chris Spielman are your announcers, with Quint Kessenich on sideline duty.
• Whom does it feature? Since 2010, the Alamo Bowl has pitted the Pac-12′s second-place team against the third choice from the Big 12.
• What about this year? The 9-3, 13th-ranked Oregon State Beavers are your Pac-12 representative, while the 8-4, 23rd-ranked Texas Longhorns rep the Big 12. That makes this the 2012-13 bowl season’s first occurrence of ranked-on-ranked action.