Yep, that's a foul pole. (Icon SMI)
The 2011 Pinstripe Bowl is just days away. We’re sure you have so many questions. We’re here to help. (For an Xs and Os breakdown, check out Zac Ellis’ game preview.)
• What’s all this, then? Last year, football games at Yankee Stadium were a new and much be-hyped thing. This year it’s just a field mashed into a baseball diamond, hype not included.
• But to be fair, as football games in baseball diamonds go, this is still light-years ahead of that infamously cramped Northwestern-Illinois game at Wrigley Field in 2010, correct? Correct.
• When is it on television? Kickoff is scheduled for 3:20 p.m. on Friday, December 30. The game will be televised on ESPN.
• Whom does it feature? Designated conference tie-ins for the one year of this bowl’s existence are the Big East, Big 12 and Notre Dame.
• What about this year? We get 8-4 Rutgers versus 6-6 Iowa State.
• Who will call the game? Chris Fowler, Jesse Palmer and Tom Rinaldi will bring the action from New York to your living room.
• What on earth is Chris Fowler doing calling a bowl game for two teams with 10 losses between them? Think of ESPN, in this moment, as Gretchen Wieners in Mean Girls, attempting to make “fetch” happen.
• Who sponsors the game? New Era Cap Company.
• Don’t they make baseball hats? Also other kinds of hats!