You Are Viewing All Posts In The Jim Tressel Category
• Marshall 20, Florida International 10: Forget “need input,” this game could’ve used about three times as much output. The Golden Panthers were pinned deep and often by the Thundering Herd in last night’s unacceptably lo-fi Beefobradys (currently accepted spelling after our available supply of apostrophes was exhausted in previewing this game) Bowl. FIU gained just 251 net offensive yards and was held scoreless through the entire second half, while Marshall went on a relative hot streak, piling on 10 points in the fourth quarter to put the game away. [RECAP | BOX]
• That’s a wrap on the sweatervest era: Ohio State’s NCAA sanctions in the matter of Terrelle Pryor and his Tat Five Orchestra were released yesterday afternoon: Additional probation, additional scholarship reductions, a one-year postseason ban and a five-year show-cause penalty for Jim Tressel. Read the NCAA’s statement here, and one from the inexplicably still-employed Gene Smith here. Charles Robinson hints the Buckeyes got off easy, relatively speaking; Spencer Hall hopes the TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl will be worth it for the Buckeyes.
• Fresh coaches, bought and sold! Busy couple of days on the carousel: Ellis Johnson to Southern Miss is official. Hawaii native Norm Chow will return home to coach the Warriors. Yale’s coach has resigned amid an investigation into his resume. Coastal Carolina has made a very interesting hire; no word on Mr. Moglia’s feelings re: the respective football strengths of cats and dogs. Somebody tell T. Boone to shake his considerable change purse at Mike Gundy, already. Everett Withers will sign on in Columbus following the Independence Bowl. And Andy Staples has a modest proposal for Akron.
• Actual news to emerge to-day! I’ll be on a plane to San Diego when it happens, but the NCAA will dispense sanctions in the general direction of Ohio State regarding Terrelle Pryor and his Tat Five Orchestra at 3 p.m. ET. Get your homespun bingo cards ready! Suggested squares: “Jim Tressel show-cause,” “Gene Smith cries on camera” and “Boise State somehow ends up being sanctioned in Ohio State’s place.”
• Fresh coaches, bought and sold! South Carolina defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson is reportedly the new head ballcoach at Southern Miss. It would be Johnson’s first head coaching gig at the FBS level. He has served on Steve Spurrier’s staff since 2008, and before that was Mississippi State’s coordinator since 2004.
• Good news for good guys, I: Michigan State’s Arthur Ray, offensive lineman and cancer survivor, has won the 2011 Discover Orange Bowl/FWAA Courage Award.
• Good news for good guys, II: Two Louisiana Tech standouts, wide receiver Quinton Patton and linebacker Adrien Cole, have donated their Poinsettia Bowl gifts to the Make-A-Wish foundation.