The 2010 Insight Bowl trophy was a sight to behold. (AP)
The 2011 Insight Bowl is just a day away. We’re sure you have so many questions. We’re here to help. (For an Xs and Os breakdown, check out George Schroeder’s game preview.)
• What’s all this, then? The Insight Bowl is sort of like the Fiesta Bowl (and is even played in the Fiesta Bowl’s former home), only smaller and dingier. You have to credit its survival instincts, however: How many other former bowl games named after dot-coms have retained their title sponsors?
• Where will this game be played? Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona.
• Golly, who plays there during the regular season? Don’t get cute, now.
• When is it on television? Kickoff is scheduled for 10 p.m. ET on Friday, December 30. The game will be televised on ESPN.
• Whom does it feature? At one point or another, four of the big six conference have had tie-ins with the Insight Bowl; current affiliated conferences are the Bigs Ten and 12.
• What about this year? We’re edging into the province of teams with respectable records: 7-5 Iowa and 9-3 Oklahoma will make the trek to Tempe.
• Who will call the game? Sean McDonough, Matt Millen and Heather Cox.
• You know, it’s only been a couple years, but I’m already running out of jokes regarding Matt Millen getting paid more money than I’ll make in five years to tell me how a football team should be doing things. This, we fear, is a lost cause. ESPN kept Craig James on the payroll until the bitter, drawn-out end, which says to us that smaller ridiculosities like Millen are just entirely beneath their line of sight.