Armed Forces Bowl attendees really step it up in the face paint department. (Icon SMI)
The 2011 Armed Forces Bowl is just days away. We’re sure you have so many questions. We’re here to help. (For an Xs and Os breakdown, check out Matt Dollinger’s game preview.)
• What’s all this, then? OK, you know how there are two militaryish bowls on the postseason schedule? This is the older one, sponsored by Bell Helicopter, that didn’t used to carry the unfortunate monikers of “EagleBank Bowl” and “Congressional Bowl.”
• Where will this game be played? Gerald Ford Stadium, University Park, Texas, home to SMU. You might recall the Mustangs themselves played in this bowl game last season, and lost to Army, 16-14.
• When is it on television? Kickoff is scheduled for noon ET, Friday, December 30. The game will be televised on ESPN.
• Whom does it feature? Typically, some combination of Conference USA, Mountain West, Army and Navy.
• What about this year? This year, 9-3 BYU’s No. 16 defense will contend with 8-4 Tulsa’s No. 23 offense.
• Might Tulsa actually be good? We have this creeping suspicion that maybe it is; those four losses came at the hands of both Oklahomas, Boise State and Houston.
• What about BYU? Reply hazy; try again later.