The 2012 Armed Forces Bowl is just hours away. We’re sure you have so many questions. We’re here to help. (For an X’s and O’s breakdown, click through to R.J. Rico’s game preview.)
• What’s all this, then? Not to be confused with the Military Bowl. This is the one sponsored by helicopters.
• Where will this game be played? After a two-year hiatus in SMU’s stadium, necessitated by renovations projects, the Armed Forces Bowl returns to Amon G. Carter Stadium in Fort Worth, home of the TCU Horned Frogs.
• When is it on television? Coverage begins at the unfortunate hour of 11:45 a.m., making for a 10:45 local kickoff. The game will be televised on ESPN, featuring the vocal stylings of Beth Mowins, Joey Galloway and Lewis Johnson, and streamed on WatchESPN.
• Whom does it feature? A rotating cast of tie-ins, including Conference USA, the Mountain West, Army and Navy.
• What about this year? At least one Armed Force! The Air Force Falcons (6-6) will face Rice’s 6-6 Owls. This will be the Falcons’ fourth appearance in the Armed Forces Bowl. Does Air Force enjoy a natural advantage in a bowl sponsored by giant flying machines? Not so: The Falcons are 1-2 in this game.