Sparty up early; more Designated Reads
• Hail to whoever can focus a camera that early. Michigan State is in the thick of winter conditioning, and Michigan State’s social media team is soldiering through with the Spartans, providing photos of a quality too rarely found in team Twitter feeds:
Eschewing blurry iPhone shots really drives home the point that you are not up and working out at 5:30 a.m. in East Lansing. Bless you, boys.
• And bless you, Black Knights. Just remember who dragged you out of The Nothing and into spring ball: As we’re typing this, Army’s already been at practice for half an hour.
• Solved that thing. Will Katherine Webb in an Auburn/Alabama combo jersey bring about peace in the Yellowhammer State? Probably not, but it was worth a shot, right?
• NEEEEEEEEEEEE[deep breath]EEEEEEERDS. Without adjusting our commemorative Battlestar Galactica caps too tightly, let us just say that we are thrilled to the gills to see more schools recognizing the second-screen experience as valid and valuable. The future is here, and it is neat.
• Crootin’ time! Andy Staples re-ranks the recruiting classes of 2010.
• Coach-hirin’ season! Former Duke wide receiver Scottie Montgomery is back in Durham, where he’ll serve as receivers coach, associate head coach and passing game coordinator for the Blue Devils …
• Roster blotter. Out West, Tyler Gaffney returns to Stanford … and down South, there are six quarterbacks hankering to succeed AJ McCarron, which is adorable given ‘Bama’s use of the position. THEY AIN’T NEED BUT ONE, MAX, PAAAOWL.
• Tweet of the day. Colorado State’s mascot is hanging out with the Colorado state legislature.
• Quote of the day. “It was difficult, and then to watch them struggle and not play the way they played before, I felt a lot of responsibility for that.” — Bobby Petrino, incisive as always.