• Good morning. If you’re reading this, you’ve survived a weekend without football of any sort. Army’s Black Knights, bless them, begin spring practice tomorrow, but until then keep up your winter conditioning with Florida’s spirit squads.
• Coach-hirin’ season! Utah has just announced the hiring of Dennis Erickson, and we’re just going to paste in an excerpt from the athletic department here with some emphasis added:
Dennis Erickson, who compiled a 179-96-1 record in 23 seasons as a head college coach and won two national championships, has joined Utah’s staff as the co-offensive coordinator. The 65-year-old Erickson, whose background also includes six years as an NFL head coach, will share the coordinator title with 26-year-old Brian Johnson.
BUDDY COP STORY, BUT WITH COACHES. SITCOM WAITING TO HAPPEN. HIJINX ABOUT TO ENSUE. Brian Johnson and Dennis Erickson becoming besties is now all we want out of the 2013 season.
Elsewhere on the perpetually active college football coaching carousel: Todd Grantham withdrew from consideration for the Saints DC job on Friday … Kennedy Polamalu is out as offensive coordinator at USC … Gregg Brandon will coach quarterbacks and coordinate the offense at New Mexico State.
• Condolences. Former Fresno State head coach Jim Sweeney, the all-time Bulldogs wins leader, has died at the age of 83. Our thoughts are with his family and the Fresno State football community.
• Roster blotter. Michigan State linebacker Denicos Allen had a successful leg operation last week, according to Denicos Allen … Penn State’s Gary Gilliam has been granted a sixth year of eligibility … Miami linebacker Eddie Johnson is suspended indefinitely.
• Healing vibes. Send ‘em if you’ve got ‘em to Hattiesburg, where our pals at Southern Miss were set upon by tornado action over the weekend:
• A thing that has happened. The Paterno family’s commissioned report on the Freeh Report has been released. Here it is. Louis Freeh has some thoughts. When we get the re-re-re-rebuttal from the Paterno family, you’ll be the first to know.
• Tweet of the day. AWWWWWWW edition. Aaron Murray and friends put in an appearance at ESP’s Big Heart pageant Saturday night:
• Misc. Meet and get psyched for the 2012 College Football Charting Project … it’s that time again, when the world’s clickpad fingers fall off voting for the EA Sports cover … and here is a live condor loose at a hockey game, because it’s Monday.