PUNTER FLIP concludes; more Designated Reads
• Ask not for whom the punter flips. What was funny a little while ago when it was reported that punter Johnny Townsend was headed to Nick Saban’s squad and not former rival Urban Meyer’s is now funny, in a different way, with Townsend signing on with Meyer’s old squad. Either way, Ohio State lost out on a punter, which even in the absence of Jim Tresselball is still pretty giggleworthy.
• “That’s the first time in 30 years I’ve ever been chased out of a development and chased down a highway trying to recruit somebody.” Here is a recruiting trail story from Randy Edsall that you are going to want to read.
• “I’ve taken it about up to here with all the media and the Twitters and everybody.” Hugh Freeze gets frosty, and Andy Staples was there.
• Oh. Right. This. Lost in the shuffle on Signing Day Eve: A report from Dennis Dodd that Julie Roe Lach OK’d payments to Maria Elena Perez. WELL NOW.
• Coach-hirin’ season! Bob Cole has been promoted to offensive coordinator at Northern Illinois … Todd Grantham has had contact with the Saints regarding their vacant defensive coordinator position … D-II Shippensburg University offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich has been hired in the same capacity at Oklahoma State … former Texas Tech defensive coordinator James Willis is back at it, this time with the Ragin’ Cajuns …
• Roster blotter. Nick Florence is hanging up his cleats … Fitz Toussaint will miss spring ball at Michigan … Florida cornerback Loucheiz Purifoy was hit with a misdemeanor marijuana possession charge over the weekend .. Boise State safety Lee Hightower and tight end Hayden Plinke, suspended last season, will not return to the Broncos, per Chris Petersen … USC tight end Junior Pomee is facing felony theft charges.
• Schedule matters. Nebraska and Colorado have booked a four-game home-and-home series to begin in 2018, with additional games in 2019, 2023 and 2024 … Penn State’s Week 3 date with Central Florida is official.
• Get ‘em early. Who will be the next Dee Liner?