Cotton Bowl: Frequently Asked Questions
The Cotton Bowl is just hours away. We’re sure you have so many questions. We’re here to help. (For an X’s and O’s breakdown, click through to Thayer Evans’ game preview.)
• What’s all this, then? Today we’re down to a very special moment in the postseason: the final postseason game of the season that isn’t played in the stadium named after it. This is the Cotton Bowl, not played in the Cotton Bowl. Isn’t bowl season grand?
• Where will this game be played? This will be the fourth Cotton Bowl game played in Arlington’s Cowboys Stadium, named for the NFL team it houses. Won’t that interfere with NFL playoff games? WE MAKE THE JOKES HERE.
• When is it on television? Coverage is scheduled to begin at 8 p.m. ET on FOX, and will feature Gus Johnson and Charles Davis in the booth.
• Whom does it feature? Big 12 versus SEC.
• What about this year? A Big 12 versus Big 12 game, of a sort. In one of the most highly anticipated postseason matchups this year, SEC team Texas A&M will face former Big 12 conference rival Oklahoma.
• Does the bowl have a social media presence? Right this way:
— AT&T Cotton Bowl (@ATTCottonBowl) January 3, 2013
• What wacky activities will the teams be subjected to this week? The three Bs: Bowling, Beef and Bashing. I see women in that Fan Bash photo. Isn’t this thing sponsored by Dr. Pepper? A glaring oversight. Hope they don’t pull their sponsorship dollars! Are women allowed to attend the Cotton Bowl? Yes, but only if they arrive topless and via horse-drawn buggy.
• What’s the pick? Stewart Mandel: “Between the awards circuit and the pending departure of mentor Kliff Kingsbury, Johnny Manziel has experienced a lot of distractions since his Heisman Trophy run. And Oklahoma coordinator Mike Stoops will have some tricks in store for him come January. Don’t expect a Heisman flop, but don’t be surprised if four-year Sooners star Landry Jones (3,989 passing yards) has a bigger night.”
• Please impart any additional knowledge you may have concerning the 2013 Cotton Bowl. All the shirts available in the official Cotton Bowl shop are 100-percent cotton. We checked.