The 2012 Sun Bowl is just hours away. We’re sure you have so many questions. We’re here to help. (For an X’s and O’s breakdown, click through to Ben Glicksman’s game preview.)
— USC Trojans (@USC_Athletics) December 26, 2012
• What’s all this, then? Hail to the Sun Bowl, sure is a fun bowl! Ra! Ra! Ra! Ugh. Look, somebody has to be excited about the Sun Bowl.
• Where will this game be played? The Sun Bowl takes place within the Sun Bowl, a stadium in El Paso, Texas, used as a home base by the UTEP Miners.
• When is it on television? Coverage begins at 2 p.m. ET on CBS. This is your last chance this college football season to bask in the chortlings of Verne Lundquist.
• Whom does it feature? The Pac-12 and ACC are the current tie-in conferences.
• What about this year? Georgia Tech versus USC, and boy oh boy do we ever wish we’d been in El Paso this week to watch Paul Johnson and Lane Kiffin interact.
• Does the bowl have a social media presence? It does, and it has alerted us to the presence of giant helmet-shaped pinatas constructed for participating teams:
Amigo man!!! twitter.com/HyundaiSunBowl…
— Hyundai Sun Bowl (@HyundaiSunBowl) December 31, 2012
• What wacky activities will be on offer during bowl week? The Sun Bowl’s Fan Fiesta was held yesterday, featuring “THE LARGEST FIREWORKS DISPLAY IN THE SOUTHWEST” and face-painting and magic tricks from something called a “Clown Internship program.” We have been unable at the time of this writing to determine whether these clowns are interning with the Sun Bowl itself.
Right, so, that, and then this happened:
— Hyundai Sun Bowl (@HyundaiSunBowl) December 30, 2012
• What shiny baubles will be showered on the players? This game no longer operates as the Brut Sun Bowl, but participating players are still given Helen of Troy hair dryers. We were re-gifted one of these a couple years back. It’s a pretty great hair dryer. Congratulations to all the players’ moms on their impending late Christmas presents.
• What’s the pick? When SI.com’s bowl predictions were released, Stewart Mandel called for a resounding Trojans win. With Matt Barkley out of the picture, the scoreboard will likely get a little tighter. We still have trouble imagining a Jackets win here, but we’ve never been very imaginative.
• Please impart any miscellaneous knowledge you might have concerning the 2012 Sun Bowl. This is one of those games that comes with pageant queens. Meet the frightfully accomplished young ladies of the 2012 Sun Court.