Liberty Bowl: Frequently Asked Questions
The 2012 Liberty Bowl is just hours away. We’re sure you have so many questions. We’re here to help. (For an X’s and O’s breakdown, click through to Zac Ellis’ game preview.)
• What’s all this, then? This here’s the Liberty Bowl. Its logo is the Liberty Bell. The game is played in Memphis. Why is the logo not a pyramid? The Liberty Bowl originated in Philadelphia, and continues to honor its roots with a bell-shaped trophy and the Spirit of 1776 Award.
• Where will this game be played? Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium, also home to the Memphis Tigers and, for one glorious season, the XFL’s Memphis Maniax. And some other teams. None with a name like Maniax.
• When is it on television? Coverage begins at 3:30 p.m. on ESPN, with Mark Jones and Brock Huard in the booth and Jessica Mendoza on the sidelines.
• Whom does it feature? Current tie-ins are Conference USA and SEC.
• What about this year? In the interest of cozying up to the Big 12, bowl organizers selected 6-6 Iowa State to face 10-3 Tulsa. THAT IS A PRETTY DIFFERENT RECORD THIS IS GONNA BE A BLOWOUT. Check the regular-season schedule, dear reader: The Cyclones and Golden Hurricane met in Ames in Week 1, and Tulsa pulled the upset. ALL WEATHER MASCOTS BOWL WOOOOOOO. That’s probably a better sentiment.
• Does the bowl have a social media presence? There is a Twitter account that seems to prefer Facebook:
I posted a new photo to Facebook fb.me/21zrgd9KB
— AutoZoneLibertyBowl (@AZOLibertyBowl) December 31, 2012
• What wacky activities will be on offer during bowl week? This being Memphis, there is naturally a rib-eating contest to be endured.
Tuftee shows off his rib-eating contest prize: a Gibson guitar. twitpic.com/bpzkey
— Cyclone Football (@CycloneFB) December 28, 2012
• What’s the pick? Stewart Mandel: “Redshirt freshman quarterback Sam Richardson took over the Cyclones’ job in their 11th game, and he has been impressive to date (187 rushing yards, 62.1 completion percentage, seven touchdowns, no interceptions). Iowa State will need him to be sharp to make up for an injury-depleted defense that is unlikely to hold Tulsa’s attack (35 points per game) to the 23 points it did in their Sept. 1 clash.”
• Please impart any miscellaneous knowledge you might have concerning the 2012 Liberty Bowl. Ladies and gentlemen, the LIBERTY BOWL RODEO. Why does every bowl not have its own attached rodeo? Truly, how is this not in the Constitution? GIVE US ADDITIONAL RODEOS OR GIVE US DEATH.