• From the “Things That Will In No Way End In Heartbreak” Department. The Chick-fil-A Bowl has set up a “Rivalizer” web app that allows you to accessorize the photo of your choice with paraphernalia supporting the ACC or SEC team of your choice. We have a modest example on the right here.
• Well, now we KNOW he’s lying. Nick Saban, betraying his true form by acting like he’s some kind of mortal being with a defined lifespan: “I really enjoy what I’m doing here right now. I’m getting old now.” For the record, we hope he stays at Alabama forever, just to see if he ages more slowly than his statue outside Bryant-Denny Stadium.
• Roster blotter. Alabama’s Barrett Jones continues to rest his injured foot … Oregon’s Kyle Long has lost his eligibility appeal … Washington State’s Jeff Tuel will try his luck at the NFL draft … Missouri’s Ka’Ra Stewart has been dismissed from the Tigers following a drug possession arrest.
• Quote of the day. “The [university] presidents and athletic directors need to wake up about these [non-automatic qualifying] conferences and understand that they don’t have the fan appeal.” — Gator Bowl president Rick Catlett. “His SEC/Big Ten game is going for $2.50.” — Stewart Mandel.
• Tweets of the day.
Chris Petersen, Gary Andersen … Wisconsin’s “Tattoos Of Other Teams/Easily Misspelled Last Name” Venn diagram finally turns one up.
— Jason Kirk (@JasonKirkSBN) December 19, 2012
Judge if you must, but having a Golden Eagle scoop up unsuspecting kids is the only way Todd Monken can recruit at Southern Miss.
— Bunkie Perkins (@FOTProgram) December 19, 2012
• Misc. So this one time at Florida Atlantic, current Redskins running back Alfred Morris had a flip-flop stolen by a raccoon.