• Actual good news, actually. Devon Walker is getting out of rehab and will spend the winter holidays continuing his recovery at home with his family. Here’s his statement: ”I am so happy to be going home where I can reunite with my family and friends. My family and I are very grateful for the support we continue to receive. Some days, when I think that I just can’t do this anymore, remembering my many friends and supporters (both old and new) who are praying for me gives me the strength to go on. I know that my fight is just beginning. Please continue to pray for my recovery. Thank you very much.”
• And now, humans in plush cow suits playing drums in the general direction of Dabo Swinney. The Chick-fil-A Bowl is your one-stop destination for events of this kind.
• Coach-firin’ follies. Are increasingly giving way to coach-hirin’ follies: Missouri offensive line coach Josh Henson will replace the departed Dave Yost as the Tigers’ offensive coordinator.
• Roster blotter. Stedman Bailey will pass on his senior season at West Virginia in favor of the NFL draft … also turning pro: Tennessee’s Justin Hunter, per Justin Hunter … Louis Nix will return to Notre Dame, with the intent of taking a little Senior Day stroll with his mom … Cincinnati’s Brendon Kay has been granted a sixth year of eligibility … and stop us if you’ve heard this before, but a Montana player is transferring. No, again. No, again again.
• Schedule matters. Nebraska and Northern Illinois have booked a three-game series, including one 2016 date at Chicago’s Soldier Field.
• Tweets of the day.
Why are there so many bowls? Overnight ratings from Sat: New Mexico Bowl (ESPN): 1.9. Butler upsets No. 1 Indiana (CBS): 1.5.
— Stewart Mandel (@slmandel) December 17, 2012
They should let Stephen Garcia guest quarterback at the Outback Bowl.
— Bobby Big Wheel (@BobbyBigWheel) December 17, 2012
NCAA rules prohibit you from responding to holiday texts from prospects. (e.g. “Merry Christmas”, “Happy New Year”, etc.)
— UT Compliance (@UTCompliance) December 18, 2012
• Misc. Imagining the NFL postseason through the bowl system.