Swing your partner; more Designated Reads
• Les Miles has some thoughts about what constitutes a nice holiday weekend.
“I can tell you that if I was looking for a New Year’s Eve event, and I was really trying to impress the Mrs., I think maybe taking her to Atlanta, getting a game in with my favorite team and finding a way to celebrate New Year’s — let’s say the game is over by about 10:30 p.m., freshen up a little bit, and go find a place I can twirl my sweetheart. … At midnight, I might get a kiss.” Who are we to argue with The Hat?
• Worth it for the graphic alone. And also the words. Patrick Hruby on sports welfare: “They’re the team owners sitting in luxury boxes built with taxpayer dollars, charging PSL fees for seats constructed with the same. They’re the athletes writing off fines for bad behavior. They’re the multimillion-dollar professional leagues, Ozymandias-shaming college athletic departments and — ahem — charitable bowl games all enjoying lucrative and dubious non-profit status.”
• No Cougars were harmed in the making of this team. Washington State wraps up its internal investigation of the football program, and CougCenter breaks down the findings.
• Tommy Tuberville is not that mean. According to Tommy Tuberville.
• Coach-firin’ follies (and hiring follies). Former Tennessee offensive coordinator and highly underrated quote machine Jim Chaney joins Bret Bielema’s staff at Arkansas … Burnt Orange Nation muses the long-awaited ascension of Major Applewhite … Colorado’s getting an equipment manager!
• Realignment tidbits, grudgingly dispensed. It doesn’t directly affect football just yet, but here’s Pete Thamel on the shearing of the Big East.
• Roster blotter. Marcus Lattimore has played his last game as a Gamecock … AJ McCarron will return to Alabama for his senior season … Anthony Alford has been released from his Southern Miss scholarship … LSU reloads for the bowl game … Georgia Tech’s Jeff Greene intends to transfer … Mississippi State’s Nick Griffin will miss the Gator Bowl with a torn ACL … Knile Davis is headed for the pros.
• Schedule matters. Navy and Notre Dame have booked a neutral-site game at FedEx Field in 2014.
• Tweet of the day. We miss you too, man.
— Pete Carroll (@PeteCarroll) December 12, 2012
• Misc. How you can help send service members and veterans to Navy’s bowl game … Shutdown Fullback previews every postseason contest on video … Teddy Bridgewater, like every costumed hero, just needs a cape … yeah, but could Guillermo Del Toro beat ‘Bama?