• Manti Manti Manti Manti Manti Manti (repeat). For those of you scoring at home, that’s the Maxwell Award, Bednarik Award and Walter Camp Foundation Player of the Year award all for Manti Te’o to add to his sagging trophy shelf. Also taking home hardware on Thursday night: Johnny Manziel (Davey O’Brien Award), Luke Joeckel (Outland Trophy), Monteé Ball (Doak Walker Award), Marqise Lee (Biletnikoff Award), Johnthan Banks (Jim Thorpe Award), Cairo Santos (Lou Groza Award) and Ryan Allen (Ray Guy Award, again).
• Taylor Swift for ACC Commissioner. Thrust forth yesterday from the ACC Council of Presidents, which is never ever letting any of those meanies from the Big Ten or dummyheads from the Big East in its treehouse again, ever: “We, the undersigned presidents of the Atlantic Coast Conference, wish to express our commitment to preserve and protect the future of our outstanding league. We want to be clear that the speculation about ACC schools in negotiations or considering alternatives to the ACC are totally false. The presidents of the ACC are united in our commitment to a strong and enduring conference. The ACC has long been a leader in intercollegiate athletics, both academically and athletically, and the constitution of our existing and future member schools will maintain the ACC’s position as one of the nation’s premier conferences.”
• Silly season updates. New Auburn defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson and offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee were paraded before the press this afternoon, with Gus Malzahn quipping: “I told you I was going to take my time hiring coordinators and it took me about 48 hours.” There’s that speed we’ve been missing.
• Roster blotter. Texas guard Trey Hopkins is out for the Alamo Bowl with a stress fracture.
• Tweet of the day, I.
— George Schroeder (@GeorgeSchroeder) December 7, 2012
• Tweet of the day, II.
— Banks (@BanksW) December 7, 2012
• Misc. Do your civic duty, as an internet … these shirts exist now, and do a poor job of capturing the wonder of their subject matter … and just one more reason why you don’t build statues for the living.