‘Tis the season for awards campaign hashtags; more Designated Reads
• Collin Klein and Kenjon Barner would like a word. We can think of a few folks who might take issue with USC’s assertion that Marqise Lee is the best player in college football, but he certainly has a compelling case (and his own hashtag). And will fruitless Heisman arguments stop us from posting kickass highlight reels? They most certainly will not.
• We see what you’re saying, but all we hear is “start looking for parking in New Orleans, like, tomorrow.” Brett “Sources” McMurphy was first to report yesterday that the Sugar Bowl has won the Champions Bowl bidding war and will host an annual SEC-Big 12 champions clash, when it’s not serving as a playoff semifinal site. The first game will take place on Jan. 1, 2015, and the agreement runs through January 2026. So, Arlington for the title game, then?
• Roster blotter. No updates from Houston as of Wednesday morning on the condition of defensive back D.J. Hayden, who was taken to Memorial Hermann Hospital after a collision with a teammate in Tuesday’s practice, other than Tony Levine calling whatever happened a “freak accident.” Hayden was honored last week as a Conference USA Player of the Week for his pair of interceptions against UTEP … surgery on B.J. Daniels’ broken leg is complete … Bill Snyder, unsurprisingly, hopes to have Collin Klein back in action for Kansas State’s game at TCU … Kevin Hogan will start at quarterback for Stanford against Oregon State … have we seen the last of Munchie Legaux? … Zach Maynard is day to day for Cal … and Mark Richt has what we’re probably all going to end up calling a swingset-P90X injury to his hip, which is all we have to say about that, except that at least he didn’t hurt himself butt-dialing a recruit.
• Schedule matters. Announcing future games of a non-bowl nature this week: Hawaii will travel to Michigan on Sept. 3, 2016 and shifts 2013′s season opener against USC to Thursday, Aug. 29 … Michigan has also established a home-and-home series with Arkansas for 2018 and 2019 and booked BYU for Sept. 26, 2015 … not to be outdone, the Cougars have signed a home-and-home deal with Virginia for 2013 and 2014 … Maryland and FIU will play a home-and-home series to open 2013 and in Week 2 of 2016.
• Darrell Royal, RIP. Spencer Hall remembers a Texas legend, and a man who kept a tumbleweed as a pet.