• No. 14 Clemson 42, Wake Forest 13. Where to begin: Clemson’s Tajh Boyd set school records for single-game passing yards (428) and touchdown passes in a half (five). That also ties his own single-game touchdown passing record, which he shares with Cullen Harper. Each scoring pass was thrown to a different receiver. Sammy Watkins caught balls with a vengeance, if that’s possible, setting a program record for single-game receiving yards (202 on eight catches). And we may have already sourced the Deacs’ primary error, which is quite correctable: Y’ALL S’POSED TO BE TURNIN’ LEFT IN THAT THING. [BOX | RECAP]
• No longer technically under our purview, but … Former LSU teammates Tyrann Mathieu, Jordan Jefferson, Karnell Hatcher and Derrick Bryant were arrested yesterday on drug charges after officers were summoned to Mathieu’s apartment complex pursuing a complaint that “a man [was] attempting to force his way in to the complex through a security gate.” (The interloper in question was Jefferson, if any of you have any remaining jokes you’d like to burn off about his abilities against other kinds of defenses.)
• Now here’s some sunshine. “Head coaches in football and basketball will be held directly accountable for NCAA rules violations by members of their coaching staff in radically new legislation that is expected to be adopted Tuesday by the Division 1 Board of Directors,” and it just gets spicier from there. Our pal and former colleague George Schroeder has more.
• Injury report story hour. Stop us if you’ve heard this before: Maryland has lost a starting quarterback. No, another one. No, another one. Seriously, this is what the top of the Terps’ injury report looks like right now. We did not make this up:
The latest blow is a Lisfranc fracture for Devin Burns. Also lost for the year, Randy Edsall announced Thursday, is Maryland’s second-leading receiver Marcus Leak, felled by a broken toe. Next up under center for the Terps: Caleb Rowe, a freshman with two career pass attempts. (Both were completions! So there’s that!) On the bright side, he only has to contend with Boston College tomorrow.
• Misc. We’re just bursting with ACC news today, and NC State’s got jokes! … Burnt Orange Nation with some real talk on mop sauce … and it ain’t FBS, but we’ll support Free Pancake Friday at any institution.