• Sailors would guide entire journeys by it, but the joke was on them. Are we ever so happy as when another school comes out with a football-themed rap video? We really think not:
The best part of this particular contribution to the field of college football-themed music videos is that it’s school-sanctioned, and cannot therefore be written off as the actions of a mere fringe group. We like to think the bewildered-looking girl functions as a kind of silent Greek chorus here. We’re right with you, honey.
• FOOTBALL TONIGHT ALERT. Central Michigan (2-3) and Navy (2-3) kick off at 8 p.m. ET in Mount Pleasant. The game will be televised on ESPN2 and streamed on WatchESPN. This is the third meeting of the Chippewas and Midshipmen, but the first time Navy has visited CMU.
• RIP, Beano. We were on the road for most of yesterday and missed sharing most of our friends’ and colleagues’ heartfelt tributes to Beano Cook, but will insist that you read two things: Ivan Maisel’s remembrance of his podcasting partner, and SI’s 1982 profile of Cook, which opens with the following anecdote:
… The woman, however, was adamant. She needed the roster. Pronto. “But why?” Beano asked, dreading the hours it would take to round up the name of every tackling dummy cluttering up the practice field. “Because,” she said, matter of factly, “I want to sleep with everybody on the Pitt football team.”
Beano gasped. “Well,” he said, clearing his throat, “in alphabetical order, starting at guard…Cook, Beano.”
• “I would say that perception comes from reality.” Boston College feels disrespected by Florida State, which is a perfectly reasonable mindset. For Florida State.
• Schedule matters. Our assessment of future SEC game-rearranging is as follows: “Wait. What? Oh. Wait, WHAT?”
• Quote of the day. “I look out there and see a few seniors on the field. It warms my heart. I like that. Seniors are neat people. I hadn’t known that feeling in a while, so that’s good.” — Tennessee OC Jim Chaney
• Misc. Sandstorm is a blight to the American people’s eardrums, sure, but is it psychological warfare? … Bill Connelly seeks a few good statheads … LaMichael James on life outside Autzen … the Commercial Appeal catches up with maybe the football-playingest family in history … and the NCAA remains conspicuously silent on the issue of add-a-kitty filters.