A solemn Seminoles vow; more Designated Reads
Because Florida State is not ‘back,’ and we are just as tired of pretending they are ‘back’ as you are of reading that they are ‘back.’
• Rooting out in-Grohn tactics at Georgia Tech. Per a GT press release: Yellow Jackets secondary coach Charles Kelly will serve as interim defensive coordinator; defensive line coach Andy McCollum switches to coaching inside linebackers, inside linebackers coach Joe Speed (GEORGIA TECH HAS A COACH NAMED JOE SPEED) switches to coaching outside linebackers and special teams coach Dave Walkosky adds defensive line duties to his job description. This all seems like one of those puzzles where you slide little plastic tiles around to make a picture of a dinosaur, but the important takeaway here is that there is a college football coach named Joe Speed, who should be up for every vacant coaching position at the end of the season, because JOE SPEED. We would be excellent athletics directors.
• Welcome! Win things. Brad Bates was announced Tuesday as Boston College’s new AD and Gene DeFilippo’s successor. Bates arrives fresh from Miami (Ohio), which could probably soundly thump the Eagles at football right about now.
• Injury report story hour. The specific injury of Sean Mannion, revealed! … Tyler Wilson is unharmed following a Tuesday car accident … Derek Dooley has been walking around with a broken hip, because of course he has … Navy has yet to name a starting quarterback for Friday … Stanford’s Ty Montgomery is expected to miss the Notre Dame game.
• Roster blotter. ‘Tis the season for coaches to begin receiving the Dreaded Vote of Confidence from their superiors! Skip Holtz, c’mon down!
• Misc. Michael Dyer, making a life for himself at Arkansas Baptist … Brent Pease, bein’ quotable … Paul Rhoads, gettin’ mathematical … and which team’s player will be nabbed by federal agents while trying to steal the Space Shuttle? Probably Georgia’s next phenom tailback, right?