• CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!
Now if ever there was a trophy that should be traded in for tattoos, it’s the one Ohio State would get for winning division this year.
— Ralph D. Russo (@ralphDrussoAP) September 5, 2012
There’s no way will this end in heartbreak and bitter recriminations: “Even though Penn State and Ohio State are banned from playing in the Big Ten title game or a bowl as part of NCAA sanctions, both are still eligible to win the conference’s Leaders Division and receive a trophy this season.”
• Poor Nick Saban, y’all. Managing expectations is a long game, and for Coach Avert-Your-Eyes, that game is Whack-a-Mole. Two national championships in three years, but HE’S JUST GOT ALL THESE FEELINGS.
• “For Heller and Grahn, the story starts, improbably, with a longstanding question about bears.” How did the biology of bears affect Stanford football?
• “But this is the NCAA. ‘Glacial’ is a word that comes to mind.” CBS’ Matt Norlander preaches patience and reminds us that the UNC case is still a pretty long way from being any kind of over.
• Injury report story hour. Nathan Scheelhaase’s ankle is improving, but his status for Illinois’ Week 2 date with Arizona State is still in question … Connor Shaw returns to practice for South Carolina … USC’s depth gets dinged at running back.
• Misc. Behold the return of The Numerical … This November, Vote Duck … ”Plaintiff, before June 2, 2010, was unfamiliar with football other than as a Cornhusker fan” … A glorious graphical preview of Florida vs. Texas A&M … “Altman says the victim was punched several times by his roommate after the victim said football was a stupid sport” … And Purdue wins the weekend.