Designated Read: Let’s get Snydercized
Give us this day our daily Catlab.
• And now, the weather. Today in Hurricane Isaac Affects Sports: LSU has canceled practice but still plans to play it season opener against North Texas. Oregon State’s opener against Nicholls State has been postponed indefinitely due to travel concerns.
• Football is here now give us football please and thank you. Today in Yelling At Your Television Provider: Pac-12 gets catty regarding DirecTV and its current lack of a distribution agreement … AT&T U-Verse plays footsie with the Longhorn Network … and we find ourselves among those unfortunate Americans with a cable provider not interested in carrying WatchESPN. Our feelings on this matter are summed up here.
• That actually took longer than we thought. Texas A&M and Arkansas establish a 10-year series to be played at the JerryDome.
• Chianti Dan strikes again. Not gonna lie, we’re with Bruins Nation on this one. UCLA’s uniforms of old were gorgeous and iconic, and while we’re definitely old-fashioned when it comes to jerseys, changing true blue to navy is dumb and weird.
• From the NCAA wheels-spinning department: The Association would like Penn State’s bowl trophies back, which should fix everything, and Kentucky’s Randy Sanders just may have surpassed Mark Richt on the “outlandish cell phone-based secondary violation” leaderboard.
• Tweet of the day.
There is a zebra standing outside of and next to our new football weight room. Not a referee. An actual zebra.
— Brad Barnes (@TAMUCompliance) August 29, 2012
• Injury report story hour. Today’s really might take an hour, as Syracuse’s student paper recounts the lengthy list of knocks suffered by Orange players in 2011.
• Roster blotter. Colorado receiver Paul Richardson will take a redshirt year … three East Carolina players have been suspended for Week 1 … two Texas A&M players will pointedly not be suspended for Week 2 … and two New Mexico players have been up to no good with the school FedEx account, the monsters.
• Misc. Print and pocket this handy Oregon chart of colors to wear to each Ducks home game … Mike Leach has a second-best pair of rollerblades, which, of course he does … and here is a season preview done entirely in animated gifs, the ultimate apex of the clash of football and internet.